Re: Cloning a debian system

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:40:15 +0200, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 15:07, Andrew Perrin wrote:
>> My office machine will be replaced next month. I'd like to make the new
>> machine be pretty much like the old one. Given that I can't actually move
>> the primary hard drive over, what's the best way to get the package list
>> straight? Should I back up all of /etc, do a basic net install, then do an
>> apt-get update; apt-get upgrade?
>
> backup /etc, /home, /boot and perhaps some parts of /var
>
> dpkg --get-selections >> packages

dpkg --get-selections only knows which packages are installed, but not
which versions of them. This is no problem if you have only woody packages
installed. However, if you use apt pining to mix woody and sarge, this
won't work.  My suggestion is to create a tarball of your whole system
and extract it on your new one (boot it from a KNOPPIX CD). If this isn't
possible, you can take the output from apt-show-versions and write a perl
script to restore everything.