Changing desktops

I tried to install Gnome today with:
apt-get install gdm
apt-get install gnome-core

gdm works.  With gdm I can get into KDE but not Gnome.  Any hints?

With kdm, when I start tvm there is still a bunch of kde stuff running (as
seen with "ps axj").  So kdm has got to go.

How 'bout ice?  IS it any good?  The installation notes at the ice web site
are above my level of comprehension. (Am barely X literate.)  Is there an
easy way to get it running?

I am trying to get away from KDE to see if I can keep my desktop running more
reliably.  Right now I'm back with kdm and kde.
--
Mike Mueller