unsupported USB mass storage drive?

(Please Cc me on replies, I am not on this list.)

Hi,

I've got a
http://www.yedata.com/products/cardreaders/internal7-in-1.shtml , which
came with my latest computer. The floppy part is normal, and the flash
media reader connects with a separate, but ordinary, USB cable. The
system is an AMD 764 SMP motherboard; the USB hub appears to be
OHCI-based with USB 2.0 support as well. USB mice and joysticks both
work with the setup I currently have (usb-ohci and ehci-hcd). The system
is running Debian sid with 2.4.21-acpi20030619, but the same issues were
observed on a stock 2.4.20 kernel.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting this drive (or one
closely related) working? Probably far too much debugging information
follows:

Although the usb-storage storage module finds the drive, it seems to be
unable to read from it:

yanagi:/home/piman# insmod usb-storage
Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-acpi20030619/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.o
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
  Vendor: Y-E DATA  Model: CF Card Reader    Rev: 1.03
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
Current sd00:00: sns = 70  2
ASC=3a ASCQ= 0
Raw sense data:0x70 0x00 0x02 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x3a 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sda: Write Protect is on
 sda: I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 3
USB Mass Storage support registered.

The message is the same with or without media in the drive. Also,

yanagi:/usr/src/linux# fdisk /dev/sda

You will not be able to write the partition table.

Unable to read /dev/sda

Unfortunately, I'm at a bit of a loss here. My last USB storage device
was the memory reader on the Sony Vaio laptops; I had an UNUSUAL_DEV
macro for that that Just Worked, but I don't know where to get those
numbers for this drive. My relevant kernel configuration is:

CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y

I am only able to test the drive with memory stick or smartmedia, but
the messages are the same for both.

TIA for any help, including pointers to other lists.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>