Package to OCR from Image of Text, tips?

I want to optical character recgonize some typewritten pages.

The documents were done on an old  manual typewriter and is
a family history of sorts, going back six generations and by
now one more generation has to be added.

I could scan them into tif or jpg images, and them transfer
then onto my Debian Woody system for OCR processing.
I do not have a scanner so must borrow one.

My google efforts did not yield much in terms of usefull info.

Kind Regards
Dan Hunt
http://hunt.ath.cx/