Re: openoffice hangs machine

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:34:02 -0400
Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> wrote:

> James Mathers(blindboy@hotmail.com) is reported to have said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently installed Debian 3.0 on my laptop, and have installed
> > openoffice from both a apt source, and compiled the program myself,
> > with the same issue. As soon as I load the application it hangs mt
> > whole machine, no responce to any input including cntl-alt-backspace,
> > and any attemp to end x or even view another terminal. I'm not sure
> > what the issue could be, i'm pretty shure I have all the pakages
> > needed to run the program, as I would have thought the compile/install
> > process would check for these, and my X seems to run fine in all other
> > applications inluding video watching.
> >
> > Any ideas/thoughts on where to go from here would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> You are waaay ahead of the curve if you have 3.0 installed, version
> 1.1rc hasn't even been released, offically, yet.

Apparently you didn't read his message properly, or else you're waaay behind the curve, as we can see from:
http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/
"Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (a.k.a. woody) was released on 19th of July, 2002."

Now, as to addressing the problem, I had a similar problem running OO on my laptop.  I didn't compile it myself though.  What laptop do you have and what video chipset does it have?  Mine was an HP zt11xx and had savage twister video.  The problem mysteriously went away eventually, although running OO through an ssh session still made it croak.

chris