Re: Hercules 9800 Pro and XFree under unstable.

Rus Hughes wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get a Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro running with XFree86
(version 4.2.1) in Debian Unstable. After reading the readmes, I turned
the fglrx-glc22-4.2.0-2.9.13.i586.rpm into a deb with alien and
installed it. I rolled my own kernel (2.5.73), and tried to build the
FireGL kernel modules which failed (make.log at end of text). As these
modules shouldn't be necessary for the card to work minimally I carried
on. I ran fglrxconfig to configure the XFree86-4. Now when I run
'startx' all that happens is I get a black screen which stays there
until I hit ctrl-F1 which drops me back to the shell.

I don't know why the FireGL module isn't compiling, make.log looks like

AFAIK (Which is not much), The Hercules Radeon 9800 Pro is NOT a FireGL class product. I know that the FireGL X1 uses a radeon 9700 core (r300), but I am not sure about the Radeon 9800 being able to work. As such, it might be that you have the wrong driver!

I did some searching on ati's and hercules' website and it seems that Hercules only provides links to the windows drivers. ATI doesn't list the 9800 Pro as an option while searching for a driver.

It seems that you will probably have to try using another driver, try the radeon 9700 driver from ati.com. It'll probably not work, but you can try. Good luck, I hope you get *any* driver working for 3d accel.
--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop