Re: Accidently uninstalled KDE

Le Samedi 12 Juillet 2003 18:15, Brian Gonzales a déclamé :
> Used apt-get to install a couple of packages the other day, and somehow
> uninstalled KDE

 I know this problem :-) I suppose this is KDE3.
 The second time, I was fed up with this dependency problem, and each time
I use dselect, I make a backup of /var/lib/dpkg/status to make a rollback
if I forget to type Ctrl-X when dselect suggests to get rid of half of
the system (dselect is not very good for a mix of woody, sarge and
sid...)

cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /mnt/bak/sys/status.`date +%F-%X`

> Can I just shitcan all of KDE and start with a fresh install?

 If I suppose you want KDE3 from Sid, you can force apt to install
everything by taking its dependencies in Sid too :
 apt-get install -t unstable kde/unstable (same for other packages)

 But I suppose it will ask you to remove the package which was the cause
of the problem.

 My 0.02 €...

--
Christophe Courtois - Ostwald, Alsace, France
http://www.courtois.cc/ - Clé PGP : 0F33E837
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
 That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
 -- J.C. Vollmer, comp.os.linux.advocacy, 22/04/1995