wvdial problem

Hi list,

I have used wvdial to access my work dial-up for
several years with no problems. I am now trying to
connect via an alternative dial-up account (new job),
using exactly same wvdial parameters, apart from the
phone number, username and password. When I connect to
the new account, wvdial appears to send my username
and password several times before starting pppd as a
last resort, then the modem immediately hangs up. It
seems like the authentication isn't proceeding
correctly. I have tried two different account
username-password combinations so I'm pretty sure it
isn't down to user error...

Using my partner's laptop it is possible to dial-up to
the new account using KPPP with no problems, which
suggests that there is no problem at the remote end. I
don't run kde on my laptop, so this isn't an option
for me. He also had problems connecting using wvdial
the one time he tried it I believe, but put it down to
a backslash in his password, and soon after switched
to using KPPP anyway.

Has anyone encountered similar problems, and if so
what was the solution?

Thanks,

naomi.