Re: rescue without floppy or CD?

I tried linux with single user mode as well, but got the same result.

I also had tried
linux init=/bin/sh
last night, but everything hangs after insmod tries to write to the log
file, and I never get to a shell prompt.

I think if I could prevent any attempts to write to /var, then I might
be able to get somewhere, but things may be even worse than that.

Thanks,
Greg