problems with using dpkg on new installation

Hello,

I am installing Debian Woody on my second hard-drive, using my existing system to intall. Completed to the point of installing dbootstrap, (following the instructions outlined in "Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 for Intel x86", http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install.en.html#contents) everything seems OK to this point.

NOW, I am trying to install some packages so as to configure the system and install the kernal - this is where I am running into trouble.

I tried installing apt using dpkg, got an incomplete install. Ran dpkg to install some of the dependencies it complained about, but got more complaints. Ran dpkg -C, showing that apt and apt-utils are not completely installed. It suggested running dpkg --configure, but that didn't help.

Ran apt-get anyway, on apt, glibc, and some other dependencies, and got more complaints, saying basically the same thing as dpkg.

Seem to get a lot of circular dependencies that won't resolve.

So I've got stuff that is not configured, partially installed, etc.

I even ran dselect accepting all the default selections and still get the same complaints basically. I thought maybe that if it just "stuck them in there all at once", they'd know what to do. (I really don't want to do the installation this way, however. I would like learn about Linux, and not just press the magic buttons)

Some of the messages I wonder about are:

dpkg not recorded as installed, cannot check for epoch support !

If dpkg is not installed, why am I able to use it, and also it does not come up as partially installed when running dpkg -C?

If apt and apt-utils are not completely installed (according to dpkg -C) why am I able to use apt-get?

Another message:

warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE = (unset), LC_ALL = (unset), LANG = "en_US.UTF-8" are supported and installed on your system. perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Could that have anything to do with it? Frankly, I don't really understand the locale setting thing, or the locales.conf file. My searches on the net regarding that have been fruitless. Perhaps that is another topic though.

I have included some of the output below, which reflects about all of the complaints I am getting.

Thank you for listening to my problem.

Allasso Travesser

apt-get install apt

Reading Package Lists... Building Dependency Tree... Sorry, apt is already the newest version. You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these: Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies: apt: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7) but it is not going to be installed Depends: libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 but it is not going to be installed apt-utils: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7) but it is not going to be installed Depends: libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7-4) but it is not going to be installed Depends: libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

apt-get install libc6

Reading Package Lists... Building Dependency Tree... You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these: Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies: apt: Depends: libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 but it is not going to be installed apt-utils: Depends: libdb2 (>= 2:2.7.7-4) but it is not going to be installed Depends: libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

apt-get -f install

Reading Package Lists... Building Dependency Tree... Correcting dependencies... Done The following extra packages will be installed: libc6 libdb2 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 The following NEW packages will be installed: libc6 libdb2 libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. 2 packages not fully installed or removed. Need to get 0B/3790kB of archives. After unpacking 14.0MB will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] perl: warning: Setting locale failed. perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings: LANGUAGE = (unset), LC_ALL = (unset), LANG = "en_US.UTF-8" are supported and installed on your system. perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C"). (Reading database ... 96 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking libc6 (from .../libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb) ... dpkg not recorded as installed, cannot check for epoch support ! dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb (--unpack): subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

dpkg -i apt....(etc)

(Reading database ... 96 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace apt 0.5.4 (using .../binary-i386/apt_0.5.4_i386.deb) ... Unpacking replacement apt ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt: apt depends on libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7); however: Package libc6 is not installed. apt depends on libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2; however: Package libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 is not installed. dpkg: error processing apt (--install): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Errors were encountered while processing: apt

dpkg --configure apt

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt: apt depends on libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7); however: Package libc6 is not installed. apt depends on libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2; however: Package libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 is not installed. dpkg: error processing apt (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Errors were encountered while processing: apt

dpkg -C

The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured. They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure menu option in dselect for them to work: apt Advanced front-end for dpkg apt-utils APT utility programs