Installing a package without overwriting files

Hi all,

I have the following problem: I'm using the "fglrx" driver for my ATI
Radeon. The driver came as an rpm which I converted to a debian
package using alien. The package installs
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2. This file is also installed by
xlibmesa3-gl. I'm not sure if the fglrx package completely replaces
xlibmesa3-gl, but at any rate thete are a lot of packages that depends
on xlibmesa3-gl, so I'd like to keep it.

When I installed the fglrx package I used --force-overwrite. No
problem there. The problem is when upgrading xlibmesa3-gl. It won't
install bc of the conflict.

I guess I could deinstall fglrx, upgrade xlibmesa3-gl, then reinstall
fglrc with --force-overwrite again - but this is highly annoying.

How do I solve this - is there a way to install everything except the
conflicting file?

Thanks in advance.

--
Johan Parin <Johan.Parin@abc.se>