Re: ATAPI CD-writer

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:19:59PM +1200, cr wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2003 11:08, Daniel Teichert wrote:
> > I apologize since this is probably either redundant, wrong or
> > both--I've deleted the rest of the thread. I just discovered
> > that I didn't actually need the ide-scsi stuff to do cd burning;
> > on my unstable box:
> >
> > cdrecord -v ATAPI: -scanbus
> >
> > ...gives me a device list with my ATAPI cd writer in it, and:
> >

> Hmm, I just get:
>
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. No read access for 'ATAPI:'.
>
> But I'm using Woody, maybe your version of cdrecord is a newer one?  Mine's
> 1.10.

You need to be using sid for this, not woody, with kernel 2.4.21 IIRC.

> > cdrecord -v ATAPI:0,0,0 blank=fast cdrom.iso
> >
> > ...burns the .iso.
> >
> > Once again, apologies in advance for irrelevance.
>
> No, not irrelevant, I'm sure I'd heard somewhere that newer versions of
> (some) cd-writers had been developed to use IDE/ATAPI directly rather than
> only SCSI.

CD writers have been mostly IDE-ATAPI rather than SCSI for years...
ATAPI basically involves sending SCSI-style commands over an IDE bus.
Hence the need for the scsi emulation layer in the kernel. I think
what you're thinking of is that the very latest kernels have a driver
specifically for talking to ATAPI CD-RWs, that "does everything in one
go" and so doesn't need the rest of the SCSI modules there to support
it; and the very latest cdrecord knows about this. To get these
very-latest versions in Debian you need to be using sid and kernel
2.4.21.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons