uw-imapd logindisabled

hello

i have a problem logging into uw-imap

when i telnet to 143 i get the following

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 X-NETSCAPE LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] localhost IMAP4rev1 2003.338 at Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:40:35 -0500 (CDT)

which tells me that i cannot use the login method (which is what i want to be able to use)

i looked through the documentation and found

>It has also been compiled with CRAM-MD5 SASL support.
>See /usr/share/doc/libc-client2003debian/md5.txt for additional information.
>NOTE:  If your users seem to have problems logging in, this is the first
>thing to check.

one thing to note here, i cannot find libc-client2003debian, i was able to find libc-client2002ddebian

which i did

and i even found out to try this

set disable-plaintext nil

in /etc/c-client.cf

i have done this and still i get LOGINDISABLED

i'm not sure what to do next

i've done

dpkg --purge uw-imapd libc-client2002ddebian
apt-get install  uw-imapd libc-client2002ddebian

dpkg-reconfigure -plow libc-client2002ddebian

to make sure that everything was installed fresh and that i did indeed tell it to allow insecure passwords to no avail

i'm not sure what to do next.  How can i find that libc-client2003debian package?  Is there something i need to have in my sources.list?

let me know if i'm missing any helpful information in this plea for help

--
aaron