SNMP hammering machine HELP! :(

HI all,

I use MRTG to monitor my servers, and wanted to next monitoring to the next level by getting information about the load, number of processes running, disk usage etc. So i installed snmpd which works well, tho I have started to notice that when I'm logged in (only tried via ssh, never direct on the console) the machine locks up, its just like trying to work on a server/machine when the load is say above 10 - 15, you type something and 5 - 10 seconds later it appears, btw there is nothing in the system that confirms the hammering, ie load average is normal, memory looks fine, top shows nothing odd.

So my question is, is this normal? and why is this doing this to my machine and is there anyway to stop snmp for hammering the machine? is there another way of getting this information out of my system without hammering it?

2.4.18 custom kernel (being using this for almost a year)
the machine spec is
duron 1.4GHz
128Mb PC2100 Ram
Asus mobo