Re: S3 Trio 64/32

On Tue, 2003-07-08 at 08:47, Jose colmenares wrote:
> I've just installed Debian, but cannot configure the video card. I
> have a S3 Trio 64/32, but don't know what driver to use. The closest
> option that appears when I run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 it's
> something like s3verige.
>
> When I run X the upper parte of the screen seems to "fold", and
> strange stuff appears (the clock appears in about five diferent
> places, above where it should be).
>
> I'm  running it on a pentium, HP 500 series, D4116A, just if is of any
> help that information.
>
> I'm new to linux, and sincerly, have tried all what I could thing off
> (not much really), and would appreciate any help.
>
> When I try to run vidtune, well, it doesn't. Says something like no
> screen present...

i usually find out my hardware info through lspci -vv.

for instance:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev
11) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

is my first line after running the aforementioned command. the S3 Inc.
is the company name and the Savage is the chipset (the part you want).

then run dpkg-reconfigure with that info.

cheers,

-matt zagrabelny