Re: RedHat support of Debian packages

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:19:04AM -0700, jaretis@shaw.ca wrote:
} Our admin has a Redhat box set up and I would like to install
} a suite of medical imaging tools that are composed of Debian
} packages.  Does Redhat support Debian packages (.deb)?  Out
} of curiosity, which distros support these packages?  Does
} Mandrake?

Both Redhat and Mandrake are RPM-based. AFAIK, the only systems that use
.debs are Debian, Debian-derived systems (Libranet, Xandros, Knoppix), and
Fink (a package management system for MacOS X).

As for installing .debs on Redhat, I have been successful in using alien to
convert various Debian packages to RPM and have had no trouble installing
them under Redhat. Then again, I haven't tried installing anything
especially complicated, just QWT and Xerces. YMMV.

} -surgin
--Greg