A menu bug?

I'm noticing a very peculiar behavior trying to translate menus.  First
I tried using the example in /etc/menu-methods/translate_menus -
changing "Apps" to "Programs".  Using the "subtranslate" directive
destroyed the subfolder hierarchy under Programs, so I tried using
"substitute" instead.  This correctly swapped Apps for Programs and left
the subfolders intact - except for Net.  Net, and only Net, remained
under Apps. Its subfolder for Mozilla Components, however, moved
properly to Programs.  This happens both as root and as a user, and
shows up both in the blackbox menu file and the GNOME folder.  Changing
Apps to Programs directly in the menu entries changes the location as
would be expected.

Menu version is 2.1.8-2.  I have no other modifications of
menu-methods.  At the moment, I don't even have anything in
/etc/menu.  Snippet from translate_menus:

substitute section->section
  Apps/        Programs/
endtranslate

And here are two entries from the debug output of update-menus:

update-menus[24883]: Reading menuentryfile /usr/lib/menu/vim
update-menus[24883]: translate: var[Apps/Editors] testing trans rule
match for:Apps/
update-menus[24883]: ADDING: command="/usr/bin/vim"
icon="/usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/vim.xpm" longtitle="VIM, Vi
IMproved" needs="text" package="vim" section="Programs/Editors"
title="Vim"

update-menus[24883]: Reading menuentryfile /usr/lib/menu/lynx
update-menus[24883]: translate: var[Apps/Net] testing trans rule match
for:Apps/
update-menus[24883]: ADDING: command="/usr/bin/lynx"
hints="Web Browsers" needs="text" package="lynx" section="Apps/Net"
title="Lynx"

Both entries recognize the translate rule, but for lynx it appears to be
silently ignored.  Looks to me like the specific combo of "Apps/Net" is
bumping into something coded into a script or executable somewhere and
not getting read correctly.  But maybe I'm just missing something...

--Todd