Re: Disabling X from listening to port 6000 the debian way!

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 08:31:05PM -0500, Jesse Meyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Its just another warm Saturday afternoon and I'm trying to up the
> security of the local network.  I've noticed that I had port 1024 open
> and port 6000 open, presumably for wdm and X11 respectively
>
> Since I use only ssh to forward X connections, I'd rather not have
> X listening to the entire world.  Googling, I found that editing
> "/usr/bin/X11/startx" and changing two lines to:
>
> 	defaultserverargs="-nolisten tcp"
> 	serverargs="-nolisten tcp"

You should never, ever need to edit a file in /usr/bin to change a
config option.  With a little grepping, I found
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc, which has that option.  Note that 'nolisten
tcp' has been the default for a fairly long time...

> And then editing /etc/X11/wdm/Xservers and change the line to:
> 	local /usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp
>
> Port 6000 ends up closed, but port 1024 is still open!
>
> And was my method of disabling port 6000 the 'right' way of doing it
> under debian?

Aside from having to edit something in /usr/bin, it looks good.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day: Chobetsu armed overthrow COSCO codes India Vickie Weaver csim