How to play CD and video in debian?

I am using kde3.1.2, but the system cannot play CD and video CD.
when i insert a CD in the cdrom, and doing
"mount /dev/cdrom"
there is some error,
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
or too many mounted file systems
and running kscd getting error messages.

when i insert video cd, i can mount the video cd, but cannot use xine-ui
to see the movie. I can do so when i am using RedHat, therefore, i think
that the problem is under my configuraton.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Regards,
James Ng