Kernel Compile the Debian Way... was RE: ADI Soundmax 1881 (intel chipset) w/ ALSA Drivers

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Ah, I didn't realize you weren't doing things The Debian Way.
> In this case it's extra important that you remember to *delete*
> or otherwise move the /lib/modules directory that's created when
> you compile your kernel. If you don't you *may* end up not having
> the new modules put into the directory. This happened to me several
> times when I was trying to get my wireless card working--without
> deleting the directory the old drivers weren't overwritten when I
> compiled a new kernel.

I did end up figuring out that I needed to rename the /lib/modules directory
in order to get the kernel and modules to build correctly.  I am currently
writing you on the computer running this new kernel.  (Well, using Outlook
running on VMWare, running on the new kernel!  ;-)  However, I did not want
to do things this way.  I wanted to do it the Debian way.  I ran into
problems with things working using make-kpkg.  I just looked at the man page
on make-kpkg.  I understand what you were saying now with the
"--append-to-version" argument.  It seems to me that this is used to
differentiate between one or more kernels that the sysadmin has customized.
Apparently this command inserts a value (rather appends) the value of the
EXTRAVERSION variable in the Linux Makefile.  Good to know.

So my final question then is this, what should be the steps one goes through
to compile the kernel the "Debian Way"?  I used "Dwarf's Guide to Debian
GNU/Linux" to guide me through this process.  The guide outlines two methods
for building a custom kernel.  The "typical" way and the "Debian Way".  The
procedure for the typical way is as follows:
make mrproper
make xconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

The procedure for the "Debian Way" is:
make xconfig
make-kpkg kernel-image

Should I be doing other steps when doing it the Debian way?  For instance
instead of first running make xconfig should I run make mrproper?  After I
run make-kpkg kernel-image should I run make modules and make
modules_install?  Or does make-kpkg kernel-image take care of all of this
for me?

Thanks for your time!

Michael