"cold start" stability issues

I've been noticing some very strange problems with my primary desktop. I
normally don't shut ever shut it off and everything works great. No
crashes, no lockups, no instability. However, any time I shut it off for
a while before turning it back on, it becomes extremely unstable. It
will crash, lockup, spontaneously reboot, etc, for a few minutes. But
once it's "warmed up" it's back to its usual stable self. Obviously, the
first idea that comes to mind is thermal expansion, but I can't think
where the problem could lie. Everything that attaches to a motherboard
tends to do so quite firmly, and for good reason. Any suggestions?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837