Re: /usr/local or /opt? which is better?

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:41, Zhao YouBing wrote:
> for install programs?
>
> It think the FHS doesn't state it very clearly.
>
> There are some difference anyway, /usr/local is for local group access
> and /opt can  be made globally sharable,
> but besides that are there any factors more important which can tell me
> which should be my dest dir when I install some program?

This is from the LSB how to on:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-lsb.html?t=gr,lnxw02=LSBapps

"To avoid name space collisions when installing LSB-conforming applications,
the applications belonging to the base operating system or the distribution
are to be installed in /sbin/, /bin/, or /usr/. System administrators can
build packages from source and install them into the /usr/local/ directory.
However, third-party packages of add-on software must be installed in
/opt/<package>/, where <package> is the name that describes a software suite.
Associated files of these /opt/ applications may be in /var/opt/<package>/,
/etc/opt/<package>/, and /opt/share/<package>/. Although the LSB specifies
that the application is to be installed in /opt/, it is a good idea to make
this a relocatable prefix in the RPM spec file. This will let the installer
override that location and place the files elsewhere if there are mitigating
circumstances."

However I searched Linux Standard Base Specification 1.3 on:

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB.html

without finding any similar text.

hth
Bob