cd player sound

For some reason my cd players (kde, gnome and xmms)on a woody machine look as if they are
playing the cd but are not outputing to the sound card. I know the sound is
working because the kde intro works and my 3d games have sound. Does
anyone know what is misconfigured. I installed a package (xmcd I think)
and perhaps it altered the configuration in its setup. I have installed
woody on 3 other machines and not had this problem.

Thanks if you can help
--
Peter Ross <princion@connexus.net.au>