Re: using numlock to generate numbers in X apps

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:59:10AM +0000, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
} Hi,
}
} i have an ~/Xmodmap with this content:
} keycode 79 = Home
} keycode 87 = End
} keycode 81 = Prior
} keycode 89 = Next
} keycode 83 = Left
} keycode 88 = Down
} keycode 85 = Right
} keycode 80 = Up
}
} I specified these keycodes to be able to navigate with the right
} keypad in apps like Evolution. I found the above keys by using Xev to see
} the codes. I then used the codes from the small keypad and specified them
} for the keys of the large keypad. It seems to work ok.

Yes, that works. I've always despised the use of the keypad for navigation,
but then I grew up with Macs. My xmodmap file sets these all to numbers,
all the time.

} Now i would like these settings to be overridden when i push the numlock
} key so i can then generate numbers instead of navigating.
}
} How do i specify this for X and console? I do not know that much
} on keyboard settings. I found stuff on loadkeys, dumpkeys, keymap,
} getkeycodes, setkeycodes and to be honest, it sounds a bit complicated.

Nope, it's way simpler than that:

keycode 79 = Home KP_7
keycode 87 = End KP_1
keycode 81 = Prior KP_9
keycode 89 = Next KP_3
keycode 83 = Left KP_4
keycode 88 = Down KP_2
keycode 85 = Right KP_6
keycode 80 = Up KP_8

That should do it, though I may have the numbers associated with wrong keys.
It's just possible that you don't have numlock set up properly, in which
case you should also add the following two lines:

clear mod3
add mod3 = Num_Lock

Note that all of this only works in X; I have no idea how to do it in the
text console.

} Anyway, any sollution or links to tutorials (simple) are welcome.
} Thanks,
} Benedict
--Greg