Re: once again: font sizes

>Hi folks,
>
>I know this is a very-FAQ, but I still can't get it working.
>
>Environment: Debian/Sid with gnome2. 14" TFT-Display at 1024x768 and
>X set to 100dpi res.
>
>Problem: font sizes in gtk1.2+ applications (sylpheed, openoffice, gimp)
>are ridicously large (measured about 6mm)
>
>Already tried: Forcing other display-dpi values, reordering of fontlist,
>added to .Xdefaults:
>*fontList: \
>-adobe-helvetica-medium-*-*-*-8-*-*-*-*-46-iso8859-15
>Made fontsize values smaller in /etc/gtk/gtkrc. Even changed system
>locale to en_us, having no effect.
>
>As gtk1.2 programs are the only ones effected, I assume it is not a
>problem with the x-config. Non-gtk/kde programs work fine as well (xfig)
>
>Would appreciate any help in form of advises, links, etc...
>
>Erhard
>
>P.S: I'm sorry if You receive this message twice. I did a repost because
>it did not appear on the ML after several hours

Hi,

i found this on the web. Maybe this will help:
 How do I use GTK+ 2 resource settings for GTK+ 2 applications when not in a GNOME environment?

 GNOME 2 applications get their GTK+ 2 resources from themes and the corresponding theme engine. If you would rather run your GTK+ 2 applications in a non-GNOME environment then you will need to create a file named ~/.gtkrc-2.0.

To use the widgets from a GTK+ 2 theme when in a non-GNOME environment, simply include the theme's gtk-2.0/gtkrc in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0. For example:

include "/usr/X11R6/share/themes/Crux/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
If you prefer, you can use the same GTK+ 1.2 theme for both GTK+ 1.2 and GTK+ 2 applications, which will give your GTK+ programs a consistent look. For the most part, you can transfer your settings from your ~/.gtkrc file (used for GTK+ 1.2) with a couple of caveats.

If you have any theme engine references, you will have to make sure there is a corresponding GTK+ 2 theme engine. Otherwise, remove the engine entries.
The default font specification should be outside of any style blocks and should be specified with the gtk-font-name keyword. For example:
gtk-font-name = "Verdana 11"

Regards,
Benedict