Re: Bad experience in installation

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 12:47:23PM +0800, jianan wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I went through the procedures in the document "Installing Debian
>    GNU/Linux 3.0 for Intel X86".

>    which I can't recall exactly. But it booted up alright. The '#' prompt
>    appeared. So I did a "cd /" followed by "ls". The sub-directories were
>    displayed OK. Then disaster struck. There was a message about "IDE0
>    interrupt...". I heard knocking sound from the harddisk drive. Then
>    smell of something burning. I powered down the system. The harddisk,

>    3. What is the reason? Is there a bug? After having found the MBR to
>    be bigger that the drive size, shouldn't the boot be aborted?

>    happens. The HD should not be a suspect. This is my slave drive which
>    I only used to backup important info from the C drive which is
>    definitely more heavily used.

Speaking strictly ad hoc, it sounds like your HD chose a bad time to die.  I
don't imagine there's anything weird about a pre-compiled kernel which would
cause any hardware problems (I suppose screwing around with hdparm might
push things but I haven't been there, nor would an installation play with
it).

Grab another HD (use a different brand?).  If it happens 3 times in a row,
then...  ;-)

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,