Re: E: Couldn't find package setiathome

On 06 Jul 2003 10:10:07 -0500
Mike Kordik <Mike@kordik.net> wrote:
> I installed Debian on a computer and got it running easily. It does
> what it is supposed to do so I never mess with it. Consiquently I am
> fairly Debian illiterate.
>
> I want to put setiathome on all my computers but I am having problems
> with it on my Debian computer. I am configured for 'testing' packages
> on my system.

Here is probably where the problem is. Check your sources.list (man
sources.list) file, since setiathome is a contrib package you will need
to have something like:
deb <url> main contrib
(or possibly also non-free)

> When I "apt-get install setiathome"
>
> I get "E: Couldn't find package setiathome"
>
> I know the package exists, so I did an "apt-get update"
>
> It gives me this warning
> "W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://non-us.debian.org
> testing/non-US/main Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_testing_non
> -US_main_binary-i386_Packages) W: You may want to run apt-get update
> to correct these problems"
>
> Well I just did an apt-get update!µ

Check your sources.list again, perhaps you have the same src twice (as
it suggests)

> Now what is wrong with my computer that I am getting a warning from
> "apt-get update" and why can it not find setiathome?
>
> I suppose I could download the .deb package manually and install but I
> am concerned I have bigger problems with my setup.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

HTH,
Wim

--
Only two things are infinite: human stupidity and the universe, and I'm
not sure about the latter. -- Albert Einstein