Re: but I don't want the Russian etc. documentation

On 06 Jul 2003 13:00:18 +0800
Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> Hmmm, as my home isn't as international as the average Debian user, if
> I were to cut down on modem time,
>
> # apt-get -s remove --purge  apt-howto-ru
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   apt-howto* apt-howto-ru*
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 825  not
> upgraded. Purg apt-howto (1.8.5-2 Debian:unstable)
> Purg apt-howto-ru (1.8.5-2 Debian:unstable)
>
> I would also toss apt-howto itself to the winds. Has this been fixed
> yet?

Fixed?  It doesn't need to be fixed, because it's not broken.
apt-howto is a metapackage; you install it to get the apt-howto
in all its various translations.  Once you've decided on the
translations you need, and remove the rest, the apt-howto
package will be removed as well because its dependencies are
no longer satisfied.  But that doesn't cause any problems,
because it's only a metapackage -- it doesn't really contain
any files itself, and thus doesn't encompass any functionality
either.  So no information is lost by removing it.

Go to http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages , drop down to "Search
the contents of packages," and look at the contents for the apt-howto
package.  A README, a changelog, and a copyright.  That's it.

> I see, I just install only the _en, and remove the general package?
> Is that how it works for all such doc packages?

I dunno about all.  The description of the package, available from
Debian's packages page or apt-cache show apt-howto, gives:

} This package depends on all translations of the manual. Its purpose
} is to provide a smooth upgrade for those who had apt-howto installed
} before the package was splited and may be removed after that.

.. . .with a similar message for the versions in testing or unstable.

So it was done for the APT HOWTO for a specific reason.  I dunno
what other documentation packages have been handled similarly.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)