ATAPI CD-writer

Just continuing to get my setup sorted....   I need an overview of ATAPI
cd-writer installation under Debian.

I've read the HOWTOs but I tend to get bogged down and confused in all the
details.   And in the past I've found, when I've managed to get X-cd-roast
working (under previous Redhat installations), I've lost the ability to mount
the cd-rom in the usual way.   But anyway, I know the hardware all works   :)

I'm running Debian 3.0, idepci kernel, my cd-writer is a (Goldstar) LG8080
IDE/ATAPI which seems to be pretty much plain-vanilla  (i.e. it needs no
special drivers), on /hdb.

>From reading the HOWTOs, I need to install ide-scsi.   However, if done
wrongly, this will interfere with ordinary mounting of the drive as an ide
device  (I think).    I would like to be able to do both - use cdrecord (via
X-cd-roast and similar front-ends) _and_ mount CDroms in the usual way.

I *think* that if the kernel has scsi support compiled into it, then I
could just add   hdb=ide-scsi  to my Grub   menu.lst file.   However,
cdrecord -scanbus seems to indicate scsi support isn't there:

alti:/# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.

So I guess I need to load ide-scsi as a separate module.   Can this be done
at any time using insmod or modprobe?   And, if ide-scsi then stops me
mounting my cd-writer as a regular ide device,  can I remove ide-scsi with
rmmod and will it then give me ide back?

Any hints or guidance on which way to go would be appreciated.

cr