Re: hda died, moved hdb to hda-->> kernel went crazy. Help

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:53:16 -0400
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 11:49, Antonio Rodr wrote:
> > On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:39:28 -0400
> > Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:

> > > You need to edit /etc/lilo.conf to indicate the change.
> > > Then you need to run lilo to update your system.
> >
> > I never used lilo, I use grub. I cheked and I don't have
> > /etc/lilo.conf
>
> Cool then it's pretty easy. You edit the file menu.lst so that the
> entry matches with what you want.
>
> I think the file is somewhere in /boot/grub/
>
> Not that grub has a whole different way of dealing with disk names so
> hda1 becomes something like (hd0,1).

Well, I used grub from a boot floppy, and there I never put menu.1st. I used to enter it by hand. Back then I would put
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18
boot

Now, after the switch, I entered root(hd0,0) followed by the same sequence. The kernel of course was found, the problem arised at some point after that. It seems to me that somewhere it was expecting to see hdb, and went into panick.
So, the change to be made must be somehere in some system file where the devices functions or so are recorded.