Re: hda died, moved hdb to hda-->> kernel went crazy. Help

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 11:49, Antonio Rodr wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:39:28 -0400
> Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 10:54, Antonio Rodr008 wrote:
> > > Hi all, I had in my other computer a dual booting, win98 in hda,
> > > testing in hdb. Then hda died, so I removed it, and put hdb as hda.
> > > So now the kernel goes into panick, somewhere it has written hdb,
> > > but hdb doesn't exist anymore. I have got in using the rescue CD
> > > woody cd 1, booting with rescue root=/dev/hda1 but I don't know what
> > > changes must be made. Can some point to the needed changes? I would
> > > like to avoid a whole new installation. Thanks.
> >
> > You need to edit /etc/lilo.conf to indicate the change.
> > Then you need to run lilo to update your system.
>
> I never used lilo, I use grub. I cheked and I don't have /etc/lilo.conf

Cool then it's pretty easy. You edit the file menu.lst so that the entry
matches with what you want.

I think the file is somewhere in /boot/grub/

Not that grub has a whole different way of dealing with disk names so
hda1 becomes something like (hd0,1).

Bijan