KDM problems (unstable)

Here's my setup -

I run KDE w/KDM on machine B.  Machine A is configured to run "X -query B".
It worked fine for a long time, where I would get a KDE background with the
KDM login screen.

B is running unstable, and A isn't.

Now, some weeks ago, and I update B and then suddenly, no KDM.  All I get when
I run "X -query B" is the standard X cross-hatch background, and no login
screen.  Now, I found out the one of the X packages was mucked up, something
to do with gcc 3, etc. There was an article about it on debianplanet.  Oh
well, limp along for a little while.

Now, it's my understanding that the X-gcc3 problem has been fixed, but I
continue to have my KDM problem. (Yes, I have upgraded recently).  One, am I
correct that the X-gcc3 problem has been fixed?  If so, can anyone help me
solve this other problem?

Thanks
David.