Re: HI Liunx Help ??

On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 17:09, RCN wrote:
> I installed Debian woddy via the net using DHCP for my network configuration
> and a cable modem however I wasn't able to specify the domain name for the
> system...... I already have a registered domain name .....I'm pretty new to
> this so as you can tell I'm stomped. I'm trying to host a small site on the
> box however I can get bind to configure and I'm thinking it's because the
> system doesn't know it domain name I do get a return for hostname

OK, let's take this step by step here:

#1 does your system successfully acquire an ip address using dhcp?

run ifconfig and check for an ip address.

#2 do you actually need to be running bind? If so, why? what are you
trying to accomplish with it?

#3 Sending mail has nothing to do with your name server registration.
Try running "eximconfig" as root, choose option 1, for you "visible"
mail name, put your domain name. Leave the next two options at their
defaults, and put your username for the administrator account. Leave the
remaining options with their default values. Now you should be able to
send mail.

#4 receiving mail. Your system should be ready to receive mail, all you
need to do is set up an MX record with your DNS host pointing to your
machine's ip address. Since you are on a dynamic ip address, this will
probably mean using one of the dynamic dns providers. Check out
www.zoneedit.com for more info.

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction. In the future you
might want to try condensing your messages into short, succinct
descriptions of one problem at a time instead of lumping it all
together.

-Mark