what is bf2.4, actually?

I'm relatively new to Debian, and have had pretty good success with it
so far, but am trying to become more knowledgable about it.

Could somebody please breifly explain to me what the bf2.4 variant on
the 2.4.18 kernel in Woody is all about?

Why is it called bf2.4?
What makes it different from a standard 2.4.18?

I'm running it on all my boxes running Debian, and I have no complaints,
but I'm running based on instructions from other people, so while I had
good instructions to get up and running, I'm missing some of the finer
points.

I looked all over the web for docs that explain this so-called "bf
variant", but can't find anything.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

-DW