Re: OT: How to get IP address via Samba name?

Kent West wrote:

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

How can I determine the IP address of "somePC"
("smbclient -L" still finds the PC; it just doesn't report the IP
address anymore).

Todd Pytel wrote:

nmblookup is built for just what you describe.  It's part of the
standard Samba packages.

Ah, "nmblookup -S somePC" works just fine. Thanks!

Then again, apparently not. The fourth octet appears to be wrong, so I suspect the address I'm getting is of some other machine along the way, perhaps a router or something.

So, -S doesn't work. -T doesn't work. -A doesn't work. -M doesn't work. (It'd help a lot if man pages were written to be read by mere mortals . . . :-)

Any idea just what syntax I need to use before I run out of alphabet?

Thanks!

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)