Fwd: Re: Trying Again

In order to boot the 2.4 kernel you will need
the 5th cd from the woody set to boot with.

The NIC is an Intel Pro 100 S Desktop Adapter.
One of my previous emails was answered by someone that stated the 2.4.x kernel would recognize
the NIC.  and the display adapter which is an Intel 845G -

At 09:24 PM 7/1/2003 -0500, Jay Latham wrote:
On Tuesday 01 July 2003 15:01, Abrasive wrote:
> I've had some trouble posting to this group, so I'm trying again with a
> different mail client.
> Here's my problem.  I don't know what I'm doing...  But about my other
> problems...
> I just installed a fresh copy of Debian 3.0r1, and in order for my hardware
> to work, I need
> to upgrade the kernel to a 2.4.x version.
> I'm new to Debian, and I don't understand the package system, or installing
> the kernel
> the 'Debian Way'
> The computer I'm using does not have Internet access yet either.  I can't
> get the NIC to
> work.  Although I've been told that the newer kernel supports that card.
> SO, which files do I need to download(kernel image, package, etc) that I
> can put on a CD
> and copy to the Debian machine.  And then what do I do with those files?
> Thanks for the help on my previous questions, and thanks for the help with
> this one...

You have everything you need if you have the first install cd. While you
could d/l the 2.4.x kernel pkg, compile it and install it, I think that
reinstalling with the 2.4.18 kernel would be easier for you. Just boot to the
cd and at the prompt type "bf24" without the quotes and that will start the
2.4 kernel install. As for your NIC, what brand is it?

hth

Jay