Re: locale not supported by C library

Karsten M. Self wrote:

on Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:08:00PM +0200, Peter Hugosson-Miller (pehu@im.se) wrote:

Since I upgraded from potato to woody, I've started getting _lots_ of
these warnings in my ~/.gnome-errors file:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

OK, it's just a warning, but it's new, and I just wonder

a) If I need to fix it to avoid _real_ problems later
b) If so, how do I fix it?

I wasn't aware that I changed anything locale-specific during the
upgrade, apart from the recommended 'apt-get install locales
util-linux', but I'm fairly sure I just accepted the defaults
everywhere, so that shouldn't have broken anything.

dpkg-reconfigure locales
# and if you're still seeing problems
locale-gen

I tried that, but it had no effect (even tried rebooting!).

So I tried creating and logging in as a brand new user, and set up its desktop exactly as my own - i.e. the same applets on the panel, same startup programs, etc.

I logged out and back in again after each change, in an attempt to find out which program(s) were generating the warning, but the warning never showed up! So my guess was that something in gnome has changes WRT locales, so that an old user from gnome 1.2.x produces these warnings under 1.4.x.

I renamed the ~/.gnome/ and ~/.gnome-desktop/ directories, logged out ant logged in again, and the problem went away.

I'll geep the old directories for a week or so, in case anyone wants to chase down the problem, but other than that, I consider this problem SOLVED!

--
Cheers,

  .~.
  /V\