Re: make-kpkg: permission denied making modules_image

also sprach Kevin McKinley <ronin2@bellatlantic.net> [2003.06.29.2015 +0200]:
> Try a different syntax for make-kpkg:
>
> fakeroot make-kpkg --options

How will that help. It is actually trying to create a file under
/usr/src while being called as a non-root user. fakeroot won't
magically allow that...

But as others have suggested the same thing, I am going to give it
a whirl... I'd still be interested on why this would make it work...

also sprach David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> [2003.06.30.2141 +0200]:
> >   cp: cannot create regular file
> >   `/usr/src/modules/nvidia/debian/control': Permission denied
>
> Right: with the default setup, the user who runs make-kpkg needs write
> access to /usr/src/modules, or you need to run under sudo.

what??? this must be a joke? /usr can be mounted read-only!

> Try, for example:
>
> [...]
>   export MODULE_LOC=$HOME/src/modules
> [...]
> Setting the MODULE_LOC environment variable will tell make-kpkg to
> look somewhere besides /usr/src/modules for kernel modules.

I'd prefer not to have to do this. I know it's an option. Else the
danger exists that I get stray module trees, or that the module tree
might not be in sync...

How are other people doing it?

`. `'`

Invalid PGP subkeys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!