Re: Install xfree and gnome

Assuming your install is otherwise functional...

Try running 'tasksel'.  Two of the options affered are labelled
something like 'X windows' and 'Desktop'.  These should pull in the
packages that provide X windows and Gnome Desktop (as well as the KDE
Desktop).

Another tool that is a bit more friendly is aptitude ("apt-get install
aptitude").  When it's installed, run "aptitude".  It provides a nice
front end for selecting packages, and allows you to search for packages.

You didn't say what video chipset you have.  Some don't work well with
the later X windows servers.  I have a Toshiba Tecra 780 with an S3
Virge/MX chipset that only works well with XFree86 3.x.x

I installed that by searching in aptitude for "xserver".  That lists
several different XFree86 3.3.6 servers that are not installed in a
default installation.  You need to read the descriptions to see which
one corresponds to your video chipset.

But try the 'tasksel' approach listed first.  Chances are good the
latest XFree86 (4) will handle your system.

Cheers,
Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu