Re: Kernel 2.4.20

Abrasive wrote:
> Hi all.  I downloaded the file: kernel-source-2.4.20_2.4.20-8_all.deb
> then ran dpkg -i kernel-source-2.4.20_2.4.20-8_all.deb
> However, I'm still loading the kernel 2.2.x
> Did I skip a step, or did I miss something entirely?

Oops.  The kernel-source is not the kernel-image.  You did not load a
kernel to boot from.  You loaded up the kernel source which may then
be used to either build your own kernel or build additional kernel
modules or whatever.  A good thing to have around, along with
kernel-headers, but apparently not what you wanted.

Taking an example from one of my machines, an athlon k7, you want to
load "kernel-image-2.4.20-2-k7".  Pick the appropriate kernel for your
architecture.

Since I am running woody/stable and wanted to stay there I temporarily
added the following to my sources.list in order to easily install the
new kernel.  Then commented it out again after the installation was
done.

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ woody-proposed-updates main non-free contrib

Following the directions for the installation I installed an initrd
kernel and added "initrd=/initrd.img" to my /etc/lilo.conf file.  This
is all as directed in the instructions but they are a little compactly
written on the screen and so I mention it here so that you will be
prepared for it.

Bob