Re: Debian lilo won't boot Redhat

On 26 Jun 2003 17:57:34 -0700
Ross Boylan <ross@biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> I got a system with Red Hat 9 preinstalled, booting with lilo.  After
> making some space, I installed Debian (testing) on it.  I thought it
> would be good to preserve the ability to boot into RH, so I mounted its
> partitions under /red in linux, and modified its lilo.conf to use these
> new paths.  (That is, I created /etc/lilo.conf under Debian based on the
> lilo conf from RH).

lilo finds files based on physical location on the hard drive; it doesn't
understand file systems.

I'm assuming you have RH and Debian on different partitions on your hard
drive, say /dev/hda1 for RH and /dev/hda3 for Debian (even if your partition
numbers aren't exactly like that).

To be able to boot either system you need to decide which system you will
use to configure the boot loader. Let's say you choose Debian.

Boot Debian. Mount the partition containing RH's kernel, for example /red.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf. Make a stanza to boot RH, and for the kernel's
location, specify /red/path/to/RH/kernel.

Run /sbin/lilo.

You should then be able to choose either the Debian or RH system at the lilo
boot prompt.

There is no need to mount any part of the RH system to your Debian
filesystem until you want to re-configure lilo.

You can get rid of this problem by using grub. Grub understands file
systems, and its configuration is a simple text file.

Kevin