Re: GRUB problem

* cr (cr@orcon.net.nz) [030624 01:22]:
> On Tuesday 24 June 2003 01:27, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 12:52:01AM +1200, cr wrote:
> > > I'm still booting off floppy and trying to get GRUB sorted.
> >
> > erm, not quite sure whats wrong but what happens if you boot grub from
> > floppy then run root (hd0,0) then setup (hd0) from floppy?
>
> That actually worked previously with Red Hat (on a different hard drive).
>
> I just tried it on this setup and got:
>
> <grub>  root (hd0,0)
> Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
>
> <grub>  setup (hd0)
> Checking if "/boot/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Checking if "/grub/Stage1" exists ... no
> Error 15: File not found
>
> /boot/boot/grub/Stage1 does exist, though.   (And df confirms that I have got
> /dev/hda1 mounted as /boot)

Careful mixing 's' and 'S'; this is a case-sensitive filesystem!  I
believe the filenames grub uses are all lowercase.  I guess that error
message above was something you wrote down and typed into the email,
since it's difficult to copy and paste from your boot loader =).  But
make sure that grub indicates that it's looking for stage1 (lowercase)
and that the file you have is also called stage1 (lowercase).

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/