Re: Trouble compiling 2.4.21 kernel

Travis Crump wrote:

Roberto Sanchez wrote:

I just downloaded the new kernel-source-2.4.21-1 package. When I unpacked it
and tried 'make xconfig', I got this:

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts kconfig.tk
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.21/scripts'
cat header.tk >> ./kconfig.tk
./tkparse < ../arch/i386/config.in >> kconfig.tk
crypto/Config.in: 43: unknown command
make[1]: *** [kconfig.tk] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.21/scripts'
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

This is line 43 from /usr/src/linux/crypto/Configure.in:

         "$CONFIG_INET6_ESP" = "m" ]; then

I can't figure out what the problem is.  Any ideas?

-Roberto Sanchez

I tried turning the elif's into nested else/if[ie:
  else
    if [ "$CONFIG_INET_AH" = "m" -o \
         "$CONFIG_INET_ESP" = "m" -o \
         "$CONFIG_INET6_AH" = "m" -o \
         "$CONFIG_INET6_ESP" = "m" ]; then
       define_tristate CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1 m
    else
      tristate       '  SHA1 digest algorithm' CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1
    fi
  fi

  instead of:
   elif [ "$CONFIG_INET_AH" = "m" -o \
         "$CONFIG_INET_ESP" = "m" -o \
         "$CONFIG_INET6_AH" = "m" -o \
         "$CONFIG_INET6_ESP" = "m" ]; then
     define_tristate CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1 m
   else
     tristate       '  SHA1 digest algorithm' CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1
   fi
]
which allowed xconfig to open up, but that section of the config still didn't work[every option was grayed out], I ended up falling back on menuconfig.

I don't have a clue either but I did have the same problem....along with a couple of others. Upon installing the kernel thaI did compile using menuconfig, The systems will not boot past the line "freeing unused kernel memory:freed 276" & now my old kernel also will not boot past that line either. BTW there is no hardware problem--I am using the same machine to send this message but booted from a stable system on another hard drive.
John