Re: Want to update the kernel

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 11:23:50AM +0200, Marino Fernandez wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2003 03:08 pm, Rob Weir wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 04:28:44PM +0800, Miranda, Joel Louie M wrote:
> > > Im using the default 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.
> > > I want to add some more modules, w/c I usually does at compiling from
> > > source Its actually a kernel patch, how can I do that from a deb package
> > > kernel?
> >
> > Sure.  Go get whatever kernel source you want, patch it, then use
> > 'make-kpkg' from the kernel-image package to build a .deb of your new
> > kernel.  Install it and read /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz and
> > you'll be right.
>
> Sorry, dumb question.
> You said "go get the kernel source and patch it" like you HAVE TO patch it...
> you meant patch with some security patch... if so, were do you get them.

In general, 'no'.  The original question was about using kernel patches,
though, so I mentioned it.

> I ask because I recently compiled my first kernel, a 2.4.21, and I just got it
> and compiled it, no patches... I thought of using the xfs patch but I really
> do not need it... are there other "vital" patches... am I missing something.

Last I checked, 2.4.21 didn't have any known security issues, so you
should be right.  Sorry for the confusion.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?