Re: Want to update the kernel

On Monday 23 June 2003 03:08 pm, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 04:28:44PM +0800, Miranda, Joel Louie M wrote:
> > Im using the default 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.
> > I want to add some more modules, w/c I usually does at compiling from
> > source Its actually a kernel patch, how can I do that from a deb package
> > kernel?
>
> Sure.  Go get whatever kernel source you want, patch it, then use
> 'make-kpkg' from the kernel-image package to build a .deb of your new
> kernel.  Install it and read /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz and
> you'll be right.

Sorry, dumb question.
You said "go get the kernel source and patch it" like you HAVE TO patch it...
you meant patch with some security patch... if so, were do you get them.

I ask because I recently compiled my first kernel, a 2.4.21, and I just got it
and compiled it, no patches... I thought of using the xfs patch but I really
do not need it... are there other "vital" patches... am I missing something.

Thanks.