Re: X sudden brokenness

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:32:58 -0500, Stephan Sauerburger
<stephan@sauerburger.org> wrote:
> Laugh.. I solved it. Somehow, my XF86Config-4 must have been replaced after
> the last apt-get upgrade. I noticed it was having trouble loading "GLcore";
> that's when I changed it to "nvidia" in the Modules section. However, I
> failed to notice that the "Device" section in the file I just sent the list
> had:
> Driver	"nv"
> instead of:
> Driver	"nvidia"
>
> Thanks and sorry for the bandwidth usage.. =oP

If you don't want xserver-xfree86 to overwrite your current X config
file on future upgrades, I suggest you do

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

and when it asks if you want to manage your config file using Debconf
say no. Otherwise (I think) it may (will?) overwrite your config file
(with info in the debconf database) the next time an upgrade
happens. You can get debconf to play nice with your local changes, but
this is slightly more complicated. See the documentation.

> Anyway, since I posted it, might as well let my 2 sub-questions still stand:
>
> 1. Is it possible to reinstall a package, including all its dependencies,
> forcing placement of all their files, without doing a remove first?

You said earlier that

>However, they only get like 70-something KB of data. They should be
>getting dozens of megabytes worth of files with all their
>dependencies, shouldn't they? Isn't there a way to force
>reinstallation of absolutely everything, without "apt-get remove"'ing
>first?

The package *is* being reinstalled, it is just that some stuff may
come from the local cache in /var/cache/apt/archives, depending on how
recently you cleaned it. Apt looks there first. However, only the
package itself will be reinstalled. If you really want to force
reinstallation of all dependencies you'll have to specify them
explicitly on the command line.

apt-get --reinstall install ...

> 2. If you have your distro and all your packages installed under Unstable,
> is there a clean, easy way to revert back to "Stable" or "Testing"?

There is a high probability that you could screw up your system by an
attempted downgrade. Debian does not support this officially, so no
provisions are made for this.

                                                  Faheem.