X sudden brokenness

Hi all,

My x server suddenly became inoperable after a routine reboot to Windows and
back. I changed nothing as far as configuration or messed with any related
files since it last worked.

One pecularity, and the only clue I have as to the cause, is I found a few
files in my /lost+found directory, which contain several hundred pages of
lines like:

d0911d64 __nvsym01960  [nvidia]
and:
c01c50dc dev_mc_add_Rf87ec571

Which look like symbol tables for nvidia drivers. Some others look like the
output of "lsmod". So maybe during a bad reboot, some files critical to
nvidia drivers or the x server/client became dislodged from their inodes,
and were found by the next fsck run. Problem is, I have no idea what these
files originally were, or if they're even the real problem.

I've tried reinstalling the x-window-system and x-window-system-core
packages using:

apt-get --reinstall install x-window-system
apt-get --reinstall install x-window-system-core

However, they only get like 70-something KB of data. They should be getting
dozens of megabytes worth of files with all their dependencies, shouldn't
they? Isn't there a way to force reinstallation of absolutely everything,
without "apt-get remove"'ing first?

Attached is the entire output of a "startx" attempt, as well as my
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Let me know if it'll help to attach all the
lost+found files; I discluded them this time because they're rather big (a
couple hundred KB each)

I'm using Debian Unstable, originally installed with a Potato CD (and
DESPARATELY desire to revert back to stable or testing; can that be done
cleanly?), on a Pentium 3 450mhz, 256 MB ram, ext2 filesystem,
nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 display card, with manufacturer's drivers,
not the ones that come from apt and don't seem to work.

Thx for ideas,

--
Stephan

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86@XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes@XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 (Debian 4.2.1-8 20030609132746 james@nocrew.org) / X Window System
Release Date: 18 October 2002
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
	newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
	reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-rc1-ac1-cryptoloop i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Tue Jun 24 00:28:00 2003
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.o":  No symbols found
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
Symbol __glXActiveScreens from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a is unresolved!
(II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
#
# To change things within the debconf section, run the command:
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# as root.  Also see "How do I add custom sections to a dexconf-generated
# XF86Config or XF86Config-4 file?" in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz.

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"