Re: How to shutup syslog

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 05:47:14PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> What do I need to do to stop syslog from sending messages to the virtual
> consoles?
>
> I am operating in a new Debain testing (aka sarge?) system with a 2.4.18
> stock kernel.  It's non-graphical, so I'm using different virtual
> terminals (ctl-alt-F1, etc).
if your not using X, alt-F1 etc will do.

have you tried mesg n ?

or setterm
-msg [on|off] (virtual consoles only) Enables or disables the sending of
    kernel printk() messages to the console.

-msglevel 1-8 (virtual consoles only)
    Sets  the  console logging level for kernel printk() messages.  All messages
    strictly more important than this will be printed, so a logging level of 0 has
    the same effect as -msg on and a logging level of 8 will print all kernel
    messages.   klogd(8)  may be a more convenient interface to the logging of
    kernel messages.

--
hugh