How to shutup syslog

What do I need to do to stop syslog from sending messages to the virtual
consoles?

I am operating in a new Debain testing (aka sarge?) system with a 2.4.18
stock kernel.  It's non-graphical, so I'm using different virtual
terminals (ctl-alt-F1, etc).

Messages for syslog kept ending up on my terminals, making it hard to
work.  I noticed the default syslog.conf sends many messages to
/dev/xconsole; I commented this out and did /etc/init.d/sysklogd
restart.  It didn't seem to have any effect.

Apparently there is a kernel log and a system log.  Perhaps the one I
needed is not controlled by init.d scripts?

If anyone could explain what was going on, I'd appreciate it.

P.S. The log messages had two sources.  Some where from my iptables
firewall, which was logging with warning level.  Others were notices of
"alien" packets; I assume these came from my having set some network
security features through /proc, but I'm less sure of their exact
origin.

The log messages themselves were appropriate; I just didn't want them in
the middle of my terminal sessions.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk: (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross@biostat.ucsf.edu