Where's modversions.h ?

I tried compiling a driver for my Tekram dc315 SCSI card in 3.0r0 using 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel. Compilation failed when make couldn't find modversions.h header file. I spent a couple of
hours searching the kernel source but couldn't find it .
I had to revert to my RedHat 8.0 setup, on which it compiled perfectly. The modversions.h file exists in the RH source for the 2.4.18 kernel, but I can't find it anywhere in the Debian 2.4.18
source.
I've tried searching the web and found that a few others have had the same trouble compiling drivers against this kernel, but couldn't find an answer. Anyone know where modversions.h is?

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger